Tuesday 10 November 2020

Chapter 8 - Part 3 - Of the adoration and reverence in the sight of God which ought to accompany all prayer

 From the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ 

Section 2 - The practice of interior adoration

Page 127 - I - The first act is one of reverence, before beginning to speak with God; acknowledging thyself unworthy to speak with Him, and humbly begging to be allowed to do so. 

We may learn from the utter self-abjection of the Patriarch Abraham who, although invited by God Himself to speak, began thus: I will speak with my Lord, whereas I am but dust and ashes [Genesis xviii, 2] realising his own nothingness in the presence of so great a Lord. 

2. Having now begun thy prayer, never let go of this spirit of veneration. For, as we have said above, mediation ought never to be merely intellectual consideration, but a colloquy directed to God, realising the infinitude of His perfection, the thought [page 128] of which will move thee to adoration in many ways. 

Prayer

God of all excellence, I adore Thee for Thy incomprehensible bounty and goodness, I humble myself before Thy supreme omnipotence, and I glorify Thee for Thy immense charity! If only I could adore Thee with that adoration which the Angels pay Thee in heaven, that I might fulfil at least a part of my desire. 

Prayer 

Super-excellent God, a thousand, a thousand times to be praised for Thy mercy! How can I honour Thee as I ought for all Thy grandeur? What am I, miserable man that I am, that I should take Thy glorious name on my unclean lips? What honour can Thou receive from me, a vile little worm? 

Another way by which we may show reverence in our mediations is to refrain from scrutinising the perfections and wonders of the divine majesty, and the secret judgements by which he governs the universe, humbly confessing that His ways are altogether beyond our comprehension. 

Page 130 - The title most suitable for general use by all classes of men is that of Father, which contains both reverence and confidence: this title Christ Our Lord commanded us to use in daily prayer; He Himself employed it whenever He prayed. Even sinners may, without presumption, take it upon their lips, as long as they recognize their unworthiness; like that prodigal son who prayed, saying: Father, I am not worthy to be called thy son [St Luke xv, 19]; this mode of address greatly pleased his father for the humble reverence it manifested. 

We are like to obtain much more from God by the prayer of reverence and humility, although we seem to be backward in our petitions, than by way of presumption and over-confidence. 

It is a sure indication of reverence towards God if we subject our whole will entirely to His, nor will anything but what He wills. For it is characteristic of reverence to employ few words, as if tongue-tied in the presence of God's majesty. 

Lay open thy heart silently before Him, that he may inspect it: this is quite sufficient. 

Prayer

Most loving of Fathers, what shall I say in Thy presence?

How will I address Thee, how pay Thee homage which I owe? 

For the more affable Thou show Thyself, the more I perceive Thy infinite perfection

Most Just Judge, I revere Thy severity but I love Thy Justice;

Most strong Zealot, I fear Thy jealousy, but I delight in the love whence it proceeds; 

Most faithful of Friends, I love Thy charity, and I venerate the infinite greatness it manifests. 

Teach me how to call upon Thee as Thou desirest: 

That in all things I may please Thee as I desire. 

Prayer

Supreme Father, from whose mercy comes that happy hour to all the world which now is [St John iv, 23], in [page 132] which Thou hast given us the truth Himself, that is Thy son, in human form, and Thy divine Spirit in likeness of fiery tongues. Let that hour now come for me in which I may render Thee the tribute of adoration and praise which I owe Thee on a thousand counts; send Thy truth from heaven to instruct me, and Thy spirit to stir my will; that I may adore Thee as Thou desirest; transform all my faculties into fiery tongues that I may love and praise Thee as I ought for all Thy benefits. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...