Monday 9 November 2020

Chapter 7 - Part 2 - Of the various ways in which we may consider God as present

 From the Dux Spiritualis by Louis de Ponte SJ

Section 3 - How we may regard God as dwelling with in us

Page 112 - The 3rd Manner of looking upon God is within myself: since He is really and truly within me by Essence, Presence and Power, much more intimately than my Soul is in my body; if I am in a state of Grace, He is in my Soul as a King upon his throne, a spouse in her bridechamber, and as God in His holy temple, according to the saying of the Apostle: 

        "Know thee not, that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells within you?"

[1 Corinthians iii, 16]. 

Page 115 - St Augustine's Prayer [Solil., c, 31] 

Too late have I loved Thee, O Beauty ever old and ever new, too late have I loved Thee for Thou wert within and I was without; for I sought Thee in the beauty of the creatures Thou hast made; but I only deformed myself.

Thou wert with me, but I was not with Thee: they held me far from Thee, because they had all their being from Thee, and I knew it not. 

Enlighten, Lord, the eyes of my Soul, that I may see Thee within myself, and may love and possess myself and Thee, who art ever with me, and may be most intimately united with Thee. Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...