Friday 27 November 2020

Chapter 12 Part 2 - Of the 4 methods of prayer

 From the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Section 1 – page 162

Thou may make for thyself a kind of litany out of the BEING of God, His Trinity, goodness and sanctity: His wisdom, omnipotence, charity, and mercy: His fortitude, patience, longanimity, and liberality; his prudence and all His other perfections.

Glorify and praise Him for all these things, and invite all creatures who share in these blessings to extol the magnificence and bounty from which they proceed.

Let us now give an example of how this prayer may be practised:

I confess, my God, that Thou art infinite in being, immense, incomprehensible and ineffable, the principle of all things that have being and source of all created perfection: from whom they have their being and their perfections and without whom they would lose all.

I rejoice in Thy infinity: I extol Thy eternity; I glorify Thee for Thy immensity; let all Thy creatures praise Thee for Thy incomprehensible bounty, from which they draw all the good that they have in themselves.

Ineffable Godhead, how can I praise Thee for Thy unspeakable perfections? Since Lord Thou hast given me all that I have, and of myself I am and [page 164] have nothing, perfect Thy grace in me, that it may be perfect as Thou art perfect.

From what has been said it is easy to understand that this mode of prayer is the most excellent of all; for its source and end are none other than that heroic act of the love of God which consists in wishing Him well, and which is proper to the unitive way.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...