Monday 9 November 2020

Chapter 7 - Part 1 - Of the various ways in which we may consider God as present

 From the Dux Spiritualis by Louis de Ponte SJ

Section 1, page 106 - How we may behold God in Heaven

The first way of considering the presence of God is to raise the heart and the eyes of the Soul to Heaven, where is the throne of His Glory. 

Page 107 - Therefore, as St Bernard [Sermo de 4 modis orandi] admonishes us, Christ Our Lord placed at the beginning of that prayer that he taught the disciples this word: Our Father, who art in heaven [St Matthew vi, 9]; teaching us to raise our minds from earth and earthly things to heaven, where our Celestial Father dwells, communicating to us in great abundance the heavenly gifts for which we ask.

Page 108 - Our holy Father Ignatius [ In ejus vitae, lib 5, c 1], of whom it was related that he was wont to go up to the highest place in the house, where he could raise his eyes to heaven; often he was granted such fervour in prayer and such wonderful light on heavenly things that when he descended he would say: 'How vile is earth to me, when I have looked into Heaven!' 

Section 2 - How we may consider God as around us, or ourselves as God

Page 112 - Immense fire, spread throughout the world; since I live in the midst of Thee, 

consume in me whatever hinders me from seeing Thee; 

penetrate me through and through, that I may love Thee with all my strength; 

transform me into Thyself, that I may be one with Thee:

and since nowhere can I flee from Thy presence, suffer me not to be cut off from Thy Grace. Amen. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...