Saturday 7 November 2020

Chapter 5 - Various methods of Prayer and treating with God

From the Dux Spiritualis by the Ven. Louis de Ponte SJ

Chapter 5 - Various methods of Prayer and treating with God

Section 1 - How the memory of the Presence of God helps us to avoid sin and to conquer temptations.

Eternal God, take away, I beseech Thee, the dense veil my sins have placed between me and Thee, hiding Thy Face. For I know that if I look upon Thee as I ought, all I accuse myself of, Thou wilt wipe out; neither shall I ever return to my former sins or offend Thy most pure eyes, which see and detest them. 

Section 2 - That this same realisation of the presence of God is a great help to attaining true and solid Virtue

Eternal King, conduct me, like Jacob, through right ways [Wisdom X, 10], show me that kingdom which is within us [cf St Luke xvii, 21], and Thyself, the King of Glory. Show me how Thou dost protect those who keep their eyes fixed on Thee; and obtain for me that justice, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost [Romans xiv, 17] in which it consists. May I realise more and more, and make progress in virtue until I obtain its eternal reward. Amen. 

Section 3 - How much the memory of God's presence helps us in the works of the Unitive way.

Blessed is the man to whom God is ever present!

Happy the Soul which is never oblivious of His sweet presence!

Realise, O my soul, that God is ever regarding thee in all thy ways, public and private, to direct and perfect thy goings in thy path, that thy footsteps be not moved [cf Ps. xvi, 5]. Set, then, the Lord always in thy sight [cf Ps. xv, 8], that thy heart may rejoice, thy tongue exult, and thy flesh rest in the hope that thou wilt one day be made a partaker of His glory and enjoy His presence, not as now, in the obscurity of faith, but in the clear vision of God Himself for all eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...