Friday 27 November 2020

Chapter 13 Part 2 - Method of Prayer - Thanksgiving

 Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ 


Section 2 – page 172 My God, living and immortal, life itself and the source of all life, I confess that it is from Thee I have received the gift of life by which I live, unworthy though I am to receive such a gift from Thy mercy.

I praise and glorify Thee a thousand times for it…What thanks can I return Thee, my God, for this gift, except to give Thee back the life which Thou hast given me? I offer to Thee with prompt and ready will, resolved to live henceforth no longer to myself but to Thee; Thy will shall be my life, and to lose it for Thee my gain: for it is most just to return to Thee what proceeds from Thee, that by it I may glorify Thee for all eternity. Amen

Page 173 – Infinite God, most pure Spirit, who hast created my soul out of nothing, impressing on it Thy own image and likeness: how can I thank Thee for such a benefit?

Blessed be Thy eternal wisdom, which knew me before I was, and Thy omnipotence, which created me. My glory, since Thou hast raised me to such a height as to bear Thy likeness, perfect this grace in me, that I may ever seek Thy glory.

Bless for ever Him who hast given thee so noble a soul without any merit of thine, and who has not deprived thee of it for thy many sins.

Three things ought to be offered to this Sovereign Benefactor

The 1st and principle of these is to know [page 174] and realise Him as Thy God and perpetual Lord.

Eternal God, what can I give Thee greater or better than to acknowledge the glory of Thy Divinity, as best as I am able?

The 2nd offering is generously to resolve to serve Thy God gratis and not for thy own well-being: since He bestows all these gifts on thee out of pure love and with no regard for His own advantage.

Praise Him therefore purely and sincerely, and resolve to serve Him because He is what He is and in gratitude for all he has done for thee, even though thou shouldst have no hope of ever receiving anything more.

This was the mind of David when he said: I will freely sacrifice to Thee, and will give praise, O God, to Thy name; because it is good, and because Thou hast delivered me out of all trouble [Psalm liii, 8, 9].

Hence proceeds the 3rd gift to be offered, that of accepting all the labours and afflictions sent by God, with such resignation of mind that thou wilt submit to be deprived of His favours if He sees fit to take them away.

God of my soul, all my goods are thine; I esteem it a sufficient benefit to be permitted to use them as long as Thou lendest them; I will willingly return Thee infinite thanks for all Thou sendest me.

It is good to offer this affection of gratitude to Christ Our Lord, especially in recognition of the unspeakable benefit of our Redemption, which cost Him such immense suffering and labour: for we may well be thankful for anything that makes us more like Himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...