Saturday 7 November 2020

Chapter 6 - Part 2 - the various ways in which God is present to us

From the Dux Spiritualis by Louis de Ponte SJ - English translation of 1932  

Section 1 - page 98 - 

Word of God divine, Word of God eternal, living and effectual, present to all things and acting everywhere, say to my heart this word: Dominus tecum. Enlighten the eyes of my Soul that I may see and realise how Thou art with me, and may obtain all Thou dost offer by Thy grace, until at last I come to enjoy Thy glorious vision face to face in Heaven. Amen

Section 2 - page 99 - 

My God, most present, yet most absent, most present indeed to all Thy creatures by Thy very essence, yet most absent from men of earth by reason of their forgetfulness of Thee!

How well does that name of forgetful befit me, since I forget God who is in me and the benefits He continually confers on me, the precepts He imposes, the rewards He promises, the punishments He threatens, and, finally, the judgement He has instituted, when He will repay everyone according to their desserts.

Father of mercies, take away from me this pernicious oblivion, make me ever mindful of Thee as Thou art of me. 

page 100 

As there is no moment when man is not enjoying and benefiting by the goodness of God: so ought there to be no moment when he has Him not present to his memory - St Augustin in his Manual 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...