Tuesday 1 December 2020

Chapter 14 Part 3 - Of petitions by way of Insinuation

 

Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Section 2 – Of petitions by way of Insinuation

Page 185 - The 2nd Mode of asking anything from God, as S. Thomas teaches, is by way of insinuation; in which, with the fewest possible words, a man lays open his needs, insinuating his desire for a remedy without asking for anything in particular, except perhaps in the most general terms.

It is wont to arise, says Hugh of S. Victor, from two very different principles.

The 1st is a very reverent kind of fear, either on account of the majesty of Him to whom we pray, or because of the greatness of what we ask, together with the consideration of our lowliness, which so humbles us that we dare not ask for any express remedy, but only insinuate our need and its urgency.

The 2nd cause is diametrically opposed to this and proceeds from a confidence far from being presumptuous but heroic and excellent. This trust comes either from our great love for Him to whom we pray, and His for us, or from the thing itself which, however great it may be, presents no difficulty to His omnipotence.

For we know that if it is expedient that our petition will be granted, it will be sufficient to lay before Him our necessity and desire.

For this benevolent Master does not know how to forsake anyone whom He loves: on the contrary, he will do the will of them that fear Him: and keep all of them that love Him [cf. Ps. xcliv, 19, 20 ].

Page 187 - Since this kind of prayer, whether its insinuations arise from great confidence or intense love, is always accompanied by complete resignation, it is well received and answered by God. It is therefore very useful frequently and fervently to employ this manner of petition; to this its facility and brevity, as well as the liberality of God in answering, invite us; but in each tacit request we should include some one or other of the names of God, or express some motive of confidence either on His side or on our own, in some such manner as the following:

                   O true light, if Thou wilt, in one moment Thou can dispel my darkness; Supreme might, it is easy for Thee to uphold my weakness; Infinite mercy, look upon my great misery; my Creator, I, who am the work of Thy hands, am persecuted by Thy enemies; the soul which Thou hast created in Thy own image is greatly disfigured by sin; Thou who cares for the whole world look upon my poverty; Thou who feedest the birds, I perish with hunger; Thou who dost clothe the lilies of the field, cloth my nakedness, Thou who art the joy of all creatures, I am overwhelmed with sorrow.

                   Father of orphans, see how I am abandoned by all;

Redeemer of the world, behold in prison once whom Thou hast redeemed with Thy precious Blood.

My God and My All! What am I without Thee?

 My mercy and my refuge, my support and my deliverer [Ps. cxliii, 2], look upon me and protect me.

 

In such fashion thou may form many little prayers, or aspirations, which are like the breathings [page 188] of the soul, spiritual messengers winging their way to God, arrows shot up to Heaven.

Although they use few words, they abound in meaning, for their love speaks through their silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...