Thursday 31 December 2020

Chapter 1 – Section 3e – Of intellectual consideration – Some questions

 

Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Chapter 1 – Section 3e – Of intellectual consideration – Some questions

From time to time it happens that our spirit grows dull and inert and needs some fresh stimulus. Then it is good to try another way, turning thy thoughts upon thyself in the manner of one who speaks to himself by way of interrogation, forcing himself to think and pay attention what to answer.

This Job did when he said: I will not spare my mouth. I will speak in the affliction of my spirit: I will talk with the bitterness of my soul, my bed shall comfort me and I shall be relieved, speaking with myself upon my couch [Job vii, 11, 13].

So, when thou comest to prayer, put to thyself such questions as the following, not all at once, but taking them slowly and one by one.

1.     What art thou come here to do?

2.     What didst thou mean to do and say?

3.     Where is the God to whom thou art to speak?

4.     Who is he, and what is His nature?

5.     What business hast thou to transact with Him?

6.     Of what importance is it?

7.     How oughtest thou to enter upon it? And how continue?

8.  In this mystery on which thou art to mediate, what is there that specially concerns thyself?

9. How shouldst thou speak to God to induce Him favourably to hear thee?

10. And lastly, what art thou going to undertake for His greater glory?

Each of these interrogations thou wilt answer according to the teaching of our Holy Faith or the dictates of natural reason: as if another were questioning thee and thou wert compelled to answer.

This manner of speaking to and examining ourselves is an excellent preparation for speaking to God and Christ Our Lord, introducing some considerations on the 3 classes of knowledge which we have said to be necessary.

Page 16

Prayer:

Infinite God, who am I that I should dare to speak with Thee? It is the greatness of thy mercy and condescension which impels my poverty to have recourse to Thee: for Thou art as full of mercy as I am full of misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...