Tuesday 1 December 2020

Chapter 14 Part 2 - Of the form of prayer by direct petition etc

 

Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Section 1 – Of petition by desire only

Page 182 - The 1st mode of asking anything from God is, as soon as we realise our great misery, to lay it open in His sight with an intense desire for its relief: yet without uttering a word.

For he, says David, has heard the desire of the poor [Ps. Ix, 38 (x. 17)]; therefore He judges it sufficient if they say: Lord, all my desire is before Thee, and my groaning is not hid from Thee [Ps. Xxxvii, 10].

Saint Augustine [In Ps. Xxxvii] makes the same assertion: thy desire, he says, is thy prayer; whatever thou art doing, if thou hast a fervent desire of God, thou prays continually, fulfilling the Apostle’s behest: Pray without ceasing [1 Thess. v 17].

Page 183 – tepidity and want of love make the heart silent before God, but fervour is a continual cry in His ears.

…. When thy soul is oppressed by any affliction, have recourse to God by a lively desire for His presence and the remedy He alone can bring; saying with David: I opened my mouth and panted: because I longed for Thy commandments [Ps. Cxviii, 131], to fulfil them.

Page 184: Prayer

Most Holy Spirit, whose inspiration is the breath of my soul, without which it cannot live: the desire of my heart forces me to open my mouth in Thy presence: hear my cry, and fill me with Thy grace, that I may preserve this happy life: Before I call, I will hear [cf. Isaias lxv,24]; because our desire cries out before Thee: grant me Thy good spirit, who will satisfy all my desires.

Place thyself in the presence of God like one wounded and ulcerated, poor and sick, showing thy ulcers with a deep realisation of their cause, with desire of health and remedy. For this alone will suffice to secure help form the Divine mercy.

Exercise this spiritual mendicity, says Gerson, show thyself to God as a beggar: for the poor and the mendicant praise Him when they confess that He alone can help and deliver them. Say then with great confidence those words of David: I am needy and poor. O God, Help me! [Ps. lxix, 6]. And again: I am a beggar and poor, the Lord is careful for me [Ps. xxxix, 18].

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...