Saturday 27 February 2021

Chapter 3 Section 5.2– How prayer wrestles - a recap

 

Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Chapter 3 Section 5.2– How prayer wrestles - a recap 

 

In the meanwhile, until thou hast reached this happy state [viz. being free of distractions in prayer], strive to remove the first 3 impediments which nourish and feed the last; never cease from praying with great confidence and fervour: nothing is impossible to one who prays and trusts as he ought.

In the midst of this din which, for a time, thou must endure during thy prayer, cry out as best thou can to thy God to silence it, saying to Him with David: Behold, God Almighty, how my heart hast forsaken me [Psalm xxxix, 13]; both because through sloth I have not guarded it as I ought; and because my vagabond imagination will not obey me.

The demons have induced it to fly from me: be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me [Psalm xxxix, 14] from the violence of this conflict.

And since thou commandest me to destroy and root out, and to waste and pull down these four (4) impediments [viz. demons, interior enemies, superfluous thoughts and distractions] to the contemplative life: grant me the grace to obey thy precept that I may obtain the peace thou dost promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...