Friday 26 February 2021

Chapter 3 Section 4.1– How prayer wrestles with passions

 

Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Chapter 3 Section 4.1– How prayer wrestles with passions

 

With the same zeal must thou enter into conflict with thy unruly passions and the inordinate desires of thy flesh, which perturb the spirit and hinder it from attending to spiritual things.

Think then, that when thou comest to prayer, that God say to thee what He said to Moses, who desired to approach the burning bush: Come not nigh hither, put off thy shoes from thy feet; [Isaias xliv, 22] strip thyself of all earthly affections, cast away all desire for perishing things; for it ill beseems thee to enter into my presence with such shoes on thy feet.

Having heard this voice, resolve to mortify with a good will everything in thee which displeases God: then he may presently permit thee to approach and speak familiarly with Him; unless thou so prepare thyself thou shalt never attain to contemplation.

Die then to the cupidities of thy flesh, and straightway shalt thou be permitted to contemplate the divine greatness.

If this seem to be too difficult, begin to pray; for prayer will impetrate for thee to carry out the thy good desire:

Say with St Augustine [Solil., c. 1]:

          O fountain of life! I will die that I may see Thee;

          I will mortify myself that I may enjoy Thee;

          I will deny myself that I may be permitted to speak with Thee:

Since this blessed vision and joyous colloquy may not be obtained without this kind of death, in which consists true life.

          Grant me, Lord, to see Thee indeed, that I may die to this life;

          Unless I now begin to pray and to contemplate Thee,

          And to contemplate Thee, and so to see Thee,

          I cannot die to myself in order to enjoy Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...