Wednesday 24 February 2021

Chapter 2 Section 6.3 – Of the necessity of prayer - Seven (7) Gifts of the Holy Ghost

 

Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Chapter 2 Section 6.3 – Of the necessity of prayer - Seven (7) Gifts of the Holy Ghost 

 

Divine Spirit, who hast bestowed upon us thy sevenfold (7) gifts, that we may know how to speak to Thee and how to offer Thee these seven (7) petitions [viz. of the Our Father] grant me:

 

          The gift of wisdom, that I may sanctify Thy name;

The gift of understanding, by which I may penetrate the secrets of Thy Kingdom;

The gift of counsel by which I may rightly see how to do Thy will as it is done in heaven;

The gift of knowledge, that I may know how to seek daily bread for my spirit;

The gift of piety, which will incline and move me to forgive my debtors as Thou dost forgive my sins;

The gift of fortitude, lest I succumb to temptation;

And, lastly, the gift of holy fear that I may fly ever evil.

 

Give me a high esteem of prayer by which I may obtain all these blessings from Thy infinite liberality, to the glory of Thy most holy name now and in eternity.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...