Monday 15 February 2021

Chapter 2.1.1 – How God is glorified by prayer - Can anything be of greater excellence or utility than prayer?

 

Extracts from the Dux Spiritualis by the Venerable Louis de Ponte SJ

Chapter 2.1.1 – How God is glorified by prayer

Can anything be of greater excellence or utility than  prayer?

By its means 2 most important graces are received:

1.     The Glorification of God in His creatures

2.     And that of thy own soul

Both by the glory to which it is predestined and the graces it shall obtain from Divine Providence.

Prayer:

Eternal God, glorify me with this gift of prayer, that I may glorify Thee as Thou dost deserve; then shall I be glorified in Thee and Thou in me by those gifts which Thou has decreed for me before I was made and before the creation of the world.

 

Sometimes I shall shed abundance of tears, when I realise how little glory I give to God compared with what I ought, and how His name is blasphemed among the nations; at other times I will exult with burning charity to see God glorified in just souls; sometimes, with great purity of intention I shall strive to hallow His name in all I think, say or do.

O most holy prayer, true mother of sanctity, whose Father is God Himself!

Prayer:

 

Most Holy Father, since Thou desirest me to be holy, grant me the gift of prayer, which has such power to make me holy: never, never, take from me the power to pray lest I lose my sanctity with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...