Monday 23 March 2020

Perfect prayer - Dux Spiritualis by Louis de Ponte

Section 2 page 12 – Of a pure intention and of the oblation that should accompany prayer
Eternal God, I offer thee this vessel of my heart to use just when and how it shall please thee: replenish it with thy divine gifts that I may pray with that spirit and fervour thou desireth to see in me. Amen.
Section 3 page 16 – Of intellectual consideration
Infinite God, who am I that I should dare to speak to thee? it is the greatness of thy mercy and condescension which impels my poverty to have recourse to thee; for thou art as full of mercy as I am full of misery.
Section 5 page 21 – Of petitions and colloquies
Divine lover of my soul, since thou sayest to me: Let thy voice sound in my ears; for thy voice is sweet [Canticles ii, 14], I beseech thee to let thy voice sound also in my ears, for its music is of surpassing sweetness: Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth [1 Kings iii, 10] : do thou first speak that I may learn how I ought to speak with thee as I desire.
Section 6 page 24 – Of the union of quiet and perfect familiarity with God
Eternal God, whose unction teacheth of all things [1 John ii, 27], teach us the right medium to be observed in these sublime exercises, lest we either confide too much in our own industry or neglect it altogether. Teach us to confide above all in thy infinite mercy, which will supply for all defects in our industry, that so we may attain the apex of union with thee: where our spirit shall be joined with thine for all eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...