Monday 23 March 2020

Chapter 3 Of the invicible power of prayer

Section 1 page 48 – Of wrestling in prayer with God our Lord
Father of mercies, who dost offer me this strong conflict [Wisdom x, 12] that I may overcome; suffer me not, I beseech thee, to be overcome by my sins. Unconquerable God, grant me the gift of prayer, by which I may conquer thee. For if I conquer thee, then in my other conflicts, it is thou who wilt conquer in me: thine, therefore will be the glory of the victories I shall obtain. I will wrestle with thee all the nights of this sorrowful life until, opening thy hand, thou fill me with abundance of blessings [Psalm cxliv, 16] investing me thyself with the name of Israel, by which I will see and glorify thee for all eternity. Amen.
Section 2 page 50 – How prayer wrestles with the demons
…. so S Chyrsostom [Lib 1 et 2 de orando Deum] goes on to say that the devils cringe and tremble before a soul armed with fervent prayer, nor dare approach it, being terrified by the power and fortitude it receives from prayer to conquer them.
Section 3 page 52 – How prayer wrestles with our interior enemies
Lofty indeed is the house of prayer and contemplation which thou thinkest to build; neither labour nor strength must be spared in the business. Prayer will obtain for thee all thou needest and will combat these foes until thou hast obtained complete victory over them.
If thou determine to build the house of recollected prayer and to plant the grove of lofty thoughts and fruitful labours, study first of all to remove these obstacles. Destroy the sins which give thee remorse; pluck out the passions and desires which disturb thee; cast away the superfluous cares by which thou art pricked, and root out the vain fancies which cause thee so much distraction.
Section 4 page 55 – How prayer wrestles with sins and passions
Say with S Augustine [Lib S Moral., c 28] O fountain of life, I will die that I m ay see thee; I will deny myself that I may be permitted to speak with thee: since this blessed vision and joyous colloquy may not be obtained without this kind of death [freedom from sin], in which consists true life. Grant me, Lord, to see thee indeed, that I may die to life; unless I now begin to pray and contemplate thee, and so to see thee, I cannot die to myself in order to enjoy thee.
Section 5 page 57 – How prayer wrestles with superfluous cares and distractions
How the poor soul is tortured and crucified when it strives to recollect itself in prayer! Of this holy Job complained, saying: My thoughts are dissipated, tormenting my heart; they have turned night into day [Job xvii, 11, 12.].
In the midst of this din [of distractions] which, for a time thou must endure during thy prayer, cry out as best thou can to God to silence it, saying to Him with David: Behold, God Almighty, how my heart hath forsaken me [Psalm xxxix, 13]; both because through sloth I have not guarded it as I ought; and because my vagabond imagination will not obey me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...