Monday 23 March 2020

Chapter 2 – A summary of the excellence and utility of perfect prayer

Section 1 page 31 – How God is glorified by prayer – “Hallowed be thy name”
Most holy Father, since thou desirest me to be holy, grant me the gift of prayer, which has such power to make me holy: never, never take from me the power to pray lest I lose my sanctity with it.
Section 2 page 33 – How by prayer we even now enjoy the kingdom of God – “Thy Kingdom come”
Supreme King, bestow on me the gift of prayer that I may enter the kingdom and obtain the inestimable riches of thy grace and thy glory. Amen.
Section 3 page 34 – How prayer makes us like to those who are in Heaven – “Thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven”
If thy prayer is perfect, it will impel thee to do the Divine Will on earth as it is done in heaven; it will give thee wings so that thou shalt feel no labour in obeying the divine precepts: this is one of the greatest benefits of prayer.
Section 4 Page 36 – How prayer obtains for us spiritual and corporal refection – “Give us this day our daily bread”
Most dear Jesus, who by the mouth of prayer speakest to me these pleasant words, open my ears that I may understand them and may take prayer for my inseparable companion. Thou art the true bread of life [ St John vi, 35] which cannot rightly be eaten without the help of prayer if its full benefit is to be gained. By prayer I receive thee into my memory and ruminate thee in meditation; by affection I taste thee, by love I incorporate thee. O my soul if thou dost hunger and thirst after justice, have recourse to prayer, in which thou shalt have thy fill [St Matt v, 6].
Section 5 page 40 – How prayer delivers us from these great miseries – “Forgive us our trespasses”
O infinite power of prayer! in comparison with which any number of sins is little and their gravity light, for it can obtain the remission of any debt, were it even infinite. And because Christ Our Lord has attached to the forgiveness of our debts this condition, that we also forgive the debts of others: this prayer itself fulfils this condition… the furnace of prayer is like an immense fire; if thou enter into it, though thou be as hard and cold as iron, thou shalt come forth soft as wax.
page 38 “and lead us not into temptation”
Prayer has the power to obtain twelve legions of angels [cf St Matt xxvi, 53] who will fight for thee against the evil spirits. What say I? Angels? the Lord of Angels himself will come to our assistance; for He so loves prayer that wherever it is made He is straightway present to deliver him who prays: because he asks and knocks.
page 39 “but deliver us from evil”
O Father of mercies, bestow on me the gift of prayer, which is so certain a means of turning upon us the flood of divine mercy. Never, never deprieve me of the power to pray, lest mercy forsake me also! For I am certain that if prayer accompanies me everywhere, thy mercy will always be my protection and I shall be delivered from every evil.
Section 6 – the necessity of prayer
Divine Spirit, who hast bestowed upon us thy sevenfold gifts, that we may know how to speak to thee and how to offer thee these seven petitions [ of the Our Father ]: grant me the gift of wisdom, that I may sanctify thy name; the gift of understanding, by which I may penetrate the secrets of thy kingdom; the gift of counsel by which I may rightly see how to do thy will as it is done in Heaven; the gift of knowledge, that I may know how to seek daily bread for my spirit; the gift of piety, which will incline and move me to forgive my debtors as thou dost forgive my sins; the gift of fortitude, lest I succumb to temptations; and, lastly the gift of holy fear that I may fly every evil.
Give me a high esteem for prayer by which I may obtain all these blessings from thy infinite liberality, to the glory of thy most holy name and in eternity. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Permission from Liturgical Press to quote from Ludolph of Saxony (the Carthusian) translated by Milton Walsh.

 Very kindly the Liturgical Press have allowed me to publish extracts from the Ludolph of Saxony aka the Carthusian's Life of Jesus Chri...